Which feathers are legal to paint on?
- Whether you are serious about feather painting, or if you are just a feather lover, I highly suggest familiarizing yourself with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. This document outlines all of the provisions and restrictions in regards to feather possession. To make it easy, I have done an in-depth post about it here.
Where to purchase good quality feathers?
- Craft Stores (such as Michael’s, Joann’s, and Hobby Lobby, etc.)
- Fly fishing outfitters (Such as Cabella’s, Sportsman’s Warehouse, etc.)
- From a local rancher
- Online from a reputable dealer
Which feathers are best for feather painting?
- I’ll soon be doing an in-depth post regarding the best feathers for feather painting, but for now, I’ll tell you my recommendations:
- Brown Turkey Tails
- Any Herritage Turkey Tails
- Turkey Wing feathers
- Pheasant feathers
- Goose Feathers